Skip to main content
Wajda, Andrzej. Poland. 1957.
- Wajda, Andrzej
- Production Co:
- KADR Film Unit [Film Polski]
- Criterion Collection, 2005
- 1 videodisc of 1.   DVD - Region 1.   viewing copy.
Feature.   96 minutes.   b/w.
sound - Dolby digital monaural.   fullscreen
- Polish with optional English subtitles
- Drama, War
- “Watch them closely, for these are the last hours of their lives,” announces a narrator, foretelling the tragedy that unfolds as a war-ravaged company of Home Army resistance fighters tries to escape the Nazi onslaught through the sewers of Warsaw. Determined to survive, the men and women slog through the hellish labyrinth, piercing the darkness with the strength of their individual spirits. Supplemental material includes: interview with Wajda, assistant director Janusz Morgenstern, and film critic Jerzy Plazewski; interview by Wajda of a Warsaw Uprising insider; stills gallery; essay by film critic John Simon.