Skip to main content
Rakena, Rachel. New Zealand. 2003.
- Pacific Washup
- Found on compilation title:
- Video Ground: Recent Moving Image Works From Australia and Aotearo/New Zealand
- Rakena, Rachel
- New Zealand
- DVD - Region free.   viewing copy.
Short.   6 minutes.   color.
- Experimental / Avant Garde; Video Production
- Program notes: “Pacific Islanders traditionally trace lineage along ocean currents, through historic connections to specific island homelands. A collaboration between Maori artist Rachel Rakena and Fez Fa’anana and Brian Fuata, Australian performers with Samoan heritage, PACIFIC WASHUP presents a performative take on the Pacific Island diaspora. The plastic stripy bags that roll on to Sydney’s Bondi beach in this work are recognizable to many as a cheap and easy way to gather and lug belongings. Rakena playfully acknowledges their ubiquity as the typically chosen luggage of relocation for young Islanders migrating to Australia from Pacific homelands. Her work touches on the importance of the sea in narrating identity, as well as the economic and cultural challenges that accompany this contemporary rite of passage.”