Skip to main content
La Chappelle, David. United Kingdom; USA. 2005.
- La Chappelle, David
- Production Co:
- Lionz Den; HSI, DarkFibre Entertainment Ltd
- United Kingdom; USA
- Lions Gate, 2005
- 1 videodisc of 1.   DVD - Region 1.   viewing copy.
Feature.   87 minutes.   color.
sound - 5.1 Dolby surround.   fullscreen
- English with optional English or Spanish subtitles
- African - American Interest; Documentary; Performance; Dance
- Presented in the original 4x3 aspect ratio. The dance known as krumping is examined together with the milieu of South Central LA. After the riots in 1992, Tommy Johnson created Tommy the Clown, a combination of party clown, hip-hop dancer and anti-gang activist. Subsequently, clown groups multiplied amongst LA inner-city youth as an alternative to criminal gangs. A decade later the kids in the clown groups have turned clowning into krumping. Supplemental features include: audio commentary by LaChappelle; introduction with cast & LaChappelle (2 min); filmmaking comments from LaChappelle & Morgan Susser (director of photographer); LaChappelle interviews the dancers (17 min); cast filmography at Tribeca Film Festival (7 min); LaChappelle photo gallery; extended and deleted scenes; dance demonstrations; trailers.
- Link to:
- FII catalog | AFI catalog