Skip to main content
Kurosawa, Akira. Japan. 1980.
- Kurosawa, Akira
- Production Co:
- Toho Co., Ltd.; Kurosawa Productions
- Criterion Collection, 2005
- 2 videodiscs of 2.   DVD - Region 1.   viewing copy.
Feature.   180 minutes.   color.
sound - Dolby digital monaural.   widescreen
- Japanese with optional English subtitles
- drama; war
- In his late, color masterpiece, Kurosawa returned to the samurai film and to a primary theme of his career - the play between illusion and reality. Sumptuously reconstructing the splendor of feudal Japan and the pageantry of war, Kurosawa creates a historical epic that is also a mediation on the nature of power.
Disc one includes commentary by Stephen Prince, as well as theatrical trailers and teasers. Disc two supplemental material includes: LUCAS, COPPOLA, AND KUROSAWA (2005, 19 minutes); documentary on the making of KAGEMUSHA; IMAGE: KUROSAWA’S CONTINUITY (41 minutes); Suntory Whiskey commercials made on the set of KAGEMUSHA; storyboards. Plus a 48-page booklet with director interview and critical essays.
- Link to:
- FII catalog |