Skip to main content
Fairskye, Merilyn. Australia. 2002-2006.
- Found on compilation title:
- Video Ground: Recent Moving Image Works From Australia and Aotearo/New Zealand
- Fairskye, Merilyn
- DVD - Region free.   viewing copy.
Short.   25 minutes.   color.
- Experimental / Avant Garde; Video Production
- Program notes: “Local knowledge, anecdote, and radical conjecture are imbricated to address the impact of US satellite tracking station, Pine Gap, upon the community of Alice Springs in Central Australia. Officially named the Joint Defence Facility, Pine Gap was established in the 1960s as the result of a post-Cold War treaty between the American and Australian governments. While much of its operation remains secret to Australian government representatives, the facilities are known to be involved in military satellite signal processing. Visual distortions and sound recordings give testimony to the awkward and longstanding coexistence of Pine Gap staff, indigenous locals, activist communities, and the facility itself.”