Skip to main content
Camus, Marcel. France, Brazil, Italy. 1959.
- Black Orpheus
- Alternate Title:
- Orfeu Negro; Orphee Noir
- Camus, Marcel
- Production Co:
- Dispat Film; Tupan Filmes; Gemma Cinematografica
- France, Brazil, Italy
- The Criterion Collection, 2010
- 1 videodisc of 1.   BluRay - Zone A.   viewing copy.
Feature.   107 minutes.   color.
sound - monaural.   fullscreen
- Portuguese language with English subtitles, optional English dubbed audio
- Drama, Music, Tragedy
- A modernized version of the legend of Orpheus and Euridice, with Orpheus (Breno Higino Mello) as a tram driver and Euridice (Marpessa Dawn), a dancer. Filmed with an all Black non-professional cast during Carnival Week in Rio de Janeiro. Winner of the Cannes Palme D’Or and Academy Award for Best Foreign Language Film.
Supplemental materials include: archival interviews with director Camus and actress Dawn; interviews with scholars and music historians; LOOKING FOR “BLACK ORPHEUS” (René Letzgus & Bernard Tournois, 2005, France, 85 minutes); theatrical trailer; essay booklet.
- Link to:
- FII catalog |